Professor Anthony James Costello, MD FRACS MBBS.
Professorial Fellow, Depertment of Medicine, University of Melbourne
Head, Department of Urology, Royal Melbourne Hospital
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
Level 3 Centre,
Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia.
Phone: (61-3) 9342 7294
Fax: (61-3) 9342 8928
Level 8 The Epworth Centre
32 Erin Street
Richmond, Victoria 3121, Australia
Phone: (61-3) 9429 9555
Fax (61-3) 9429 9759
Tony Costello is one of the leading Prostate Specialists in Australia.
Tony Costello is Professorial Fellow & Head Department of Urology, The Royal Melbourne Hospital and Director of Urology at the Epworth Medical Centre. His private practice is conducted through Epworth Hospital Richmond campus and is primarily concerned with treatment of prostate cancer He is Consultant Urologist at Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute and The Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne and Visiting Professor at the Department of Microsurgery at St Vincent’s Hospital.
Professor Anthony Costello is the sole Professor of Urologic Surgery in Australia.
He has a long history in development of new technology in urologic surgery. He was the first to develop laser energy application to remove obstructing prostatic tissue. More recently he has pioneered the introduction of tele-robotic surgery in Australia to treat prostate cancer.
He Heads a Clinical and Research Department at The Royal Melbourne Hospital and has a strong interest in prostate cancer research. He has over 80 published papers in peer reviewed journals, has been an invited speaker in many countries on the topic of prostate cancer and treatment of local disease and of advanced metastatic prostate cancer.
1. Khaira HS, Bruyere F, O’Malley PJ, Peters JS, Costello AJ. Does obesity influence the operative course or complications of robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy. BJU Int. Dec 2006; 98(6):1275-8.
2. O’Malley PJ, Van Appledorn S, Bouchier-Hayes DM, Crowe H, Costello AJ. Robotic radical prostatectomy in Australia: initial experience. World J Urol. Jun 2006;24(2):165-70.
3. Van Appledorn S, Bouchier-Hayes DM, Agarwal D, Costello AJ. Robotic laparoscopic radical prostatectomy: Setup and procedural techniques after 150 cases. Urol. Feb 2006; 67(2):364-367.
4. Corcoran NM, Costello AJ, Hovens CM. Interfering with cell-survival signaling as a treatment strategy for prostate cancer. BJU Int. 97:1149-1153. 2006.
5. AJ Costello. Potency following robotic radical prostatectomy: A questionnaire based analysis of outcomes after conventional nerve sparing and prostatic fascia sparing techniques. Editorial. J Urol. Jul 2006; 176(1):412-3.
6. Costello AJ, Corcoran NM, Van Appledorn S. Revisiting the role of radical surgery in early stage prostate cancer. MJA. Vol 183(6):286. Sept 2005.
7. Corcoran NM, Costello AJ. Combined low-dose imatinib mesylate and paclitaxel lack synergy in an experimental model of extra-osseous hormone-refractory prostate cancer. B J Urol. 96, 640-646. Sept 2005.